Thursday, July 14, 2011

How I Met My Sensei

As you could see by my previous post, I have some personal demons to overcome. One of the ways that I cope is by spending time with a small group of close friends who I have revealed the truth about my past to, and who understand and accept me. For me, this group of friends is the guys I play Dungeons and Dragons with.

It was my friend Jon who introduced me to the classic RPG, after learning of my love of all things fantasy. To Jon, Danny, Mike, Dakota, Fish, Squiggy, Matt, Eric, Shannon... thank you so so much for caring about me.
You don't know what it means to me.

Shortly after I began playing, I also began planning for after the completion of my associates degree, which is next May. I have chosen to attend SIU-Carbondale and one of the things that most frightens me about going to a school where I have to live on campus is the idea of walking alone, and knowing I have no way to defend myself. 

I revealed my concern to Jon especially after beginning a unit in my health class about the importance of self defense and he told me a friend of his who used to play D&D was trained in martial arts and I should meet him. Jon is a self taught martial artist, so I trusted his input. Shortly after we discussed it, Blaine Coplon reappeared at the shop. Jon excitedly introduced me and I began to explain my need to learn self defense.

Almost immediately Blaine told me he felt that Combat Hapkido, a style he knew well and taught, was the right fit for me. First and foremost, unlike other, more popular martial arts such as Karate and Tae Kwon Do, it does not absolutely require the use of kicks, and secodly is more practical where the others are showy and flashy but not always effective.

I instantly connected with him, and he seemed genuinely excited at the prospect of having me as a student. I wanted to begin right away.

More next time,

Misha

No comments:

Post a Comment